Welcome to the first OntoInsights blog post which explains the company’s focus on narratives.
People have listened to and studied stories for insights into cultures, customs, values and life. They have used narratives to explain how and why the world works, and their experiences in it. Stories are humans’ approach to structuring knowledge and providing insight.
Listeners can easily extract knowledge from narratives, but for a computer to do this, a combination of approaches and technologies is needed:
- Natural language processing (NLP) to parse the text
- Semantic (ontological) and linguistic understanding to distill meaning
- Graph technologies to encode the events of the narratives and background knowledge
- Pattern recognition algorithms to discover similarities and differences
- Inference, reasoning and causal analysis to extract knowledge and provide explanations